Prof. Dr. Axel Schmidt, Dipl. Soz., Dipl. Päd.
- Head of the project "Multimodal Interaction"
- Researcher in the "Pragmatics Department"
- Senior lecturer for Media Studies at the University of Mannheim
- Researcher in the project "Multimodal Interaction"http://www1.ids-mannheim.de/
- Researcher in the sub-projects "Language and Other Bodily Modes of Communication" and "Language, Multimodality and Mediality"
- Co-Editor of the Journal "Gesprächsforschung. Online Zeitschrift zur verbalen Interaktion" / "Research on Conversation. Online Journal of Verbal Interaction"
- Co-Developer of the analytic tool "trAVis" (transcription editor for audiovisual media formats)
- 1991-1999 Studies in Sociology and Educational Science at the University of Frankfurt am Main
- 2002-2005 Research Assistant at the University of Koblenz-Landau, Institute for Social Sciences, Department of Sociology
- 2004 PhD in Sociology from the University of Koblenz-Landau, thesis on: "Doing Peer Group - Interactive Practices of Juvenile Group Constitution"
- 2005-2012 Research Assistant at the University of Basel, Institute for Media Studies
- 2011 Habilitation from the University of Basel, Habilitation-Thesis on "Media and Interaction"
- Since 2013 Researcher at the Institute for the German Language
Areas of Research:
Multimodal interaction, media communication, media ethnography, interaction in theatre and television
Selected publications (in English):
Schmidt, Axel (2018): Prefiguring the future: Projections and preparations within theatrical rehearsals. In: Deppermann, Arnulf/Streeck, Jürgen (eds.): Time in Embodied Interaction. Synchronicity and sequentiality of multimodal resources. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, pp. 231-260.
Schmidt, Axel (2011): How to Deal Methodologically with Entertaining Hatred and Aggressive Humour on the Web (and Television). In: Studies in Communication Sciences 11, 2, pp. 133-166.
For a list of recent German publications, see the German page